This story now
IN History & Culture ON 28 Aug, 2015
Yes, an entire Medival town is hidden behind this giant rock. Monemvasia is a Greek town that was invaded around 375 AD due to the earthquake. During the earthquake, this stone was separated and its existence was lost. It was an important trading port in ancient time and had a population of 40,000 people.
Today, this town is turned into abandoned place with ruin churches that are now being replaced by hotels.
For 200 years, Monemvasia was part of the Byzantine Empire. Many churches of that time are now abandoned.
The church still maintains a better shape than any other churches present there.
In 1400, it was a hiding place for many pirates.
Until the Greek War of Independence in 1821, the Ottomans ruled Monemvasia. The word Monemvasia was formed up of two Greek words that mean 'single entrance'. The town had only one entrance in 1971 when it was connected to the mainland. For now, the ancient buildings are changed into the boutique hotels.
To access this content, confirm your age by signing up.