IN Travel & Adventure ON
Just imagine going out with your friends to an amusement park, to get on all those rides, eat ice cream and cotton candy and have some fun, that definitely sounds amazing. Amusement parks were created to increase the fun in the society, with rides, jugglers, amazing food, fireworks, circus performances and what not.
But, just imagine if one day for some reason the park was to close down, or demolished or be abandoned. It sounds sad, but it has happened before. These parks look really scary after years of no one caring about it.
The world's oldest amusement park was Bakken ("The Hill") at Klampenborg, north of Copenhagen, Denmark in 1583. Innovation in the coming years created mechanical rides and derivatives. The concept of fixed park was developed with the beginning of world fairs. The first permanent enclosed entertainment area, regulated by a single company was founded in Coney Islands in 1895 which was the Sea Lion park at Coney Island in Brooklyn.
Here's a list of some defunct amusement parks all around the world.
This amusement park was closed down because a boy lost his arm as it was ripped off on the Nautic Jet water ride. This was along with the recent accusations. In 2002, they said they'd be coming back but in 2012 only the demolition work started.
This amusement park was first opened in 2000 as Jazz land and three years later it was renamed as Six Flags New Orleans (SFNO). In 2005, since just before hurricane Katrina struck the park was closed. After assessing the damage done by the hurricane, the only thing, there was an exorbitant amount of loss. There were many plans to reconstruct the park but as of now it's still an abandoned park.
Fun Fact: This park was used in the movie Percy Jackson & the sea of monsters when they cross the Charybdis, in the sea of monsters to find the Golden Fleece.
This island is originally named Treasure island , but the name was changed. From 1974 to 1999, it was open to guests, and they could observe the species and animals. It was closed down to the public on 8th April 1999 but went on functioning till 9th July. At this point ,all the animals there were relocated to new homes.
Mr. Blobby from '90's Saturday Night ' became so famous that it had an amusement park to his name. The remains of 'Dunblobbin' were found deep in the grounds of the stately home at Cricket St Thomas in Somerset. The park was opened wide but say the popularity of the character fell and it was sold and left to rot. It has now become a scene of illegal raves.
The park was opened on May 1st 1986. Sadly on 26th April the Chernobyl disaster happened. It was opened on 27th April to keep the people in the city entertained, before evacuation. The park and the Ferris Wheel are a symbol of the disaster.
It was shut down in 1999 after a series of deaths and fatal incidents, particularly the death of a child who fell from one of the rides. The remains of the land were demolished in 2011 so that a hotel could be constructed over it. The history of this land remains unknown.
Once at the foot of the Swiss alps, in Northern Italy, there was the Consonno village. The City of Toys enjoyed a short time. People loved the place even when it was still under construction. Sadly, this town was becoming a ghost town every day and people started to leave, even the residents of the villages. Vandalism and landslides also played a role in the destruction.
It was built in 1961 inspired by Disneyland in California. But, it was closed down in 2006 because of fewer visitors since people preferred the Tokyo Disney resort more. Nothing has been done to it at all, all the buildings remain as it is and no one cares about it.
This park was a recreational area known as Fern Groove in the 1880s. The Great Depression hurt business but the main reason for closure was the 1937 floods. All the remains of the island were swept away.
It was designed by Eugenius Birch. It helped the tourism grow very well. It was Grade 1 in Britain, but now it's believed to be haunted. The major devastation to the land was caused by fire. English Heritage announced it to be beyond repair and the structured demolition took place in 2010.