The Most Bizarre Fatwas Issued in India by Darul Uloom

From installing CCTV cameras to using social media...

The Most Bizarre Fatwas Issued in India by Darul Uloom
SPONSORED

Oh no no, this is not just another Anti-Muslim or derogatory-towards-Islam story. Some of my best friends are Muslims and that is how I first came to know about Islam properly. Islam is one of the most powerful religions in the world and is pretty difficult to follow. Not to imply that other religions are not powerful or easy, for that matter.

But sometimes, we come across some notions which are impossible to imagine. Everyday things for us - going to a beauty parlour or celebrating New Year's or marrying a guy who works at a bank - might not be acceptable. Well, that is the case when it comes to Darul Uloom Deoband, an Islamic University located in Uttar Pradesh. They are particularly famous for their fatwas. That's what this story is about. But, first things first.

A fatwa is an answer or a religious decision made by an Islamic scholar or a mufti.

NOTE: There are different interpretations of religious texts and so is the case with the Holy Quran. So, let's not go all judgemental on the entire religion because of these fatwas.

Take a look..

Eyebrow grooming and hair cutting.

Eyebrow grooming and hair cutting.

The largest seminary in India issued this bizarre fatwa in October 2017. Plucking, trimming and shaping eyebrows or cutting hair - all these activities are un-Islamic. So is going to the parlour apparently. 

RELATED STORIES

Celebrating New Year.

Celebrating New Year.

Another fatwa was issued against the celebration of New Year's Eve. Leaders of Deoband suggested the Muslim community to refrain from celebrating NYE on both 31st December and 1st January. Reason? New Year starts at Moharram and hence, that is when wishes should be exchanged. 

Posting personal pictures on Facebook.

Posting personal pictures on Facebook.

This fatwa was issued in October 2017 which said posting pictures of self (and family members) on social media was not allowed in Islam. This happened after a man asked if posting photos on social media was allowed. 

"When clicking pictures, unnecessarily, is not allowed in Islam how posting photos on social can be allowed." - Mufti Tariq Qasmi, an Islamic scholar.

Fatwa against body scan.

Fatwa against body scan.
via

After a man who was put through a full-body scanner at Manchester Airport questioned about it, this fatwa was issued. A full-body scan is severely haram (prohibited), Deoband said in 2012. Although many Muslim clerics and intellectuals did not support the fatwa.  

"We are against body scans as it's not only un-Islamic but goes against Indian culture." - Abdul Qasim Nomani

Installation of CCTV cameras.

Installation of CCTV cameras.
via

In May 2018, a query arose as to whether it was okay to install CCTV in a shop or where there is a movement of a lot of people. To this, Darul Uloom said that it is un-Islamic to shoot pictures and hence, even installing CCTV cameras is not right. There are many other ways to ensure safety. 

Not everybody agrees though.

Not everybody agrees though.

Almost 75% of the people believe such fatwas are not really taken seriously. The remaining 25%, out of 17,000+ people who answered this question, say these fatwas are taken seriously. This is India Ka Pulse.

That's all for now.

You can reach out to me at ankita@wittyfeed.com for comments and suggestions. 

You can also contact us at indiakapulse@wittyfeed.com for questions and feedback.

NOTE: Images are used for reference purposes only.