A trail of scrumptious dessert awaits you!
Let me put it out there before I even start.
Desserts are the best part of a meal.
Be it an all encompassing lavish dinner or a normal one we always look forward to that moment when dessert is served to us. Most of us are so fond of it that we get our weapons, oh, I mean a fork and a spoon handy to attack this beautiful creation of mankind. Because controlling that foodgasm is too much to handle.
On talking about creation, it occurs to me that we savour desserts within minutes, but their making is an actual story. It requires hours to put up those layers atop and garnish them. With all prep time and exact measurements, it becomes so hectic that we end up quitting it and cry like a baby!
Norwegian cake kvæfjordkake is said to be the world's best cake. The cake got its name from town Kvæfjord, situated on Hinnøy, which is Norway's largest island.
The cake looks complicated but is so easy to make, you'll thank the writer later.
There are simple ingredients that are required to prepare kvæfjordkake. To make the recipe easy, we will divide it into different layers namely: the sponge cake, the meringue, garnish and filling.
⅔ cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
1 cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 tbsp milk
Meringue is a sweet food item that requires a mixture of egg whites and sugar baked until they get crisp.
To prepare the filling we will need:
4 egg yolks
1 whole egg
1 tsp vanilla essence
75 gm caster sugar
30 gm corn flour
350 ml full cream milk
25 gm unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
125 ml heavy cream
1 tbsp grated orange rind or any chopped fresh berries (optional)
Last but not the least the garnish only requires 3 tbsp almond slivers.
Now that we have our ingredients ready, let's start with the procedure to prepare this cake.
The first and most important step is to preheat the oven at 175⁰C.
- Then, put the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar in another bowl, until it gets light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition, till it gets thoroughly amalgamated.
- Add some vanilla essence.
- Fold in the flour and milk alternately, till well blended.
(as shown in the picture above)
- Spoon the batter into a lightly greased 12" cake pan.
- Whisk the egg whites in another bowl, till frothy.
- Add the sugar and whisk, till stiff peaks are formed when the whisk is raised.
- Then, spread the almond slivers on top.
- Bake in the middle of the preheated oven for 25 minutes, till the meringue is set.
- Remove and turn out to let it cool down.
- Whisk the egg yolks, whole egg, vanilla essence, sugar and cornflour in a bowl, until light and creamy.
- Heat the milk in a pan, till it just comes to a boil.
- Pour the hot milk into the egg mixture and whisk together, till well blended.
- Pour it back into the pan and place it over gentle heat.
- Stir and cook for 2–3 minutes.
- Keep stirring, till it has the consistency of a thick custard.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the butter vigorously, till it melts.
- Pour it into a jug and cover the surface with cling film to prevent a skin forming over the custard.
- Set aside, till it reaches room temperature and transfer to the refrigerator.
- Whip the cream in another bowl until it gets stiff.
- Remove the filling from the refrigerator and whisk it into the cream, till well blended.
- Cut the cake horizontally into half.
- Spread the filling over the lower half of the cake and sandwich with the upper half.
- Serve cold and savour its mouth watering flavours.
This recipe that you just read is an excerpt from:
'On the Dessert Trail: Around the World in Eighty Desserts'
A book written by Monish Gujral and published by Penguin Random House, Delhi.
Do try it out and let us know your feedback.
You can also write to me at email@example.com