'Piggy Bank' Sea Turtle Tragically Dies After Ingesting Something Shocking 

Vets said the turtle suffered blood poisoning. 

'Piggy Bank' Sea Turtle Tragically Dies After Ingesting Something Shocking 
SPONSORED

They say the turtle was suffering from poisoning that might have been a result of consuming coins that the Thai tourists offered her. 

An endangered green turtle named "Bank" died a few weeks ago after going through a four-hour long surgery in Thailand. The surgery removed nearly 1,000 coins from her stomach. 

Images via CNN

The doctor said, 

Bank, the turtle

"She at least had the chance to swim freely before she passed away."  

RELATED STORIES

These are the some of the coins that were inside the turtle. 

Coins
via

The coins were almost equal to 10 pounds of metal. 

Bank, the turtle after surgery
via

The turtle was known as 'Bank' or 'Piggy Bank.'

The turtle was known as 'Bank' or 'Piggy Bank.'
via

Throwing coins on the back of turtles is an old Thai tradition. 

Throwing coins on the back of turtles is an old Thai tradition. 
via

The turtle was named 'Omsin,' which means a bank or piggy bank. 

Coins recovered from turtle
via

The doctors tried hard to save the turtle but they couldn't. 

Bank, the turtle, under surgery
via

"She died in peace," said the veterinary doctor.

Should they ban coins from reaching these turtles?