This story now
IN Health & Fitness ON 01 Oct, 2016
It is the life-long myth that when you swallow a piece of chewing gum, it stays in your stomach for 7 years because the stomach acids and the intestines aren't able to excrete it out like other food items that you eat. But this couldn't be more wrong.
You may have accidentally swallowed gum, but staying in your body for 7 years isn't its fate. Let's check out what really happens when you swallow a piece of chewing gum.
We've all been there when accidentally we tend to swallow the little piece of gum.
Your parents or elder siblings might have scared you with stories when you were a kid but they aren't true.
To be honest, chewing gum goes through your digestive system just like any other food. But your stomach and intestines can't properly digest it due to the materials used in making the gum.
Due to the strong enzymes and acids present in your digestive track, the gum breaks down like any other food. But the base of the gum isn't properly broken down due to the chemicals used in it. So just like any other product that can't be broken down in your stomach, it passes undamaged through your GI tract and eventually comes out in your poop.
Gum doesn't stick to your intestine walls. It won't break down entirely, but that doesn't mean it will form a gum plaque or anything like that in your intestine.
Generally, it doesn't cause any harm if you swallow a small piece of gum. But it is advised that you don't make it a habit.
Swallowing gum is just like swallowing corn. You will always poop out corn and your bowel movement will still be healthy.
Chewing gum is only base and flavor so specialists are against swallowing it because it doesn't have any nutritional value.
But that doesn't make it logical to it.
To access this content, confirm your age by signing up.