This story now
IN Travel & Adventure ON 29 Sep, 2016
I am a honey lover. One reason I like it so much is that of its sweetness. I have a sweet tooth. When I was a kid, mom used to scold me for eating too many chocolates. But my love for sweet stuff hasn't changed a bit even after growing up. My fascination and love for honey made me explore it even more. To my surprise, I came across something called "mad honey" and as the term suggests it's supposed to drive you crazy or you may end up dead if consumed large doses.
The so-called 'mad honey' is collected by the bee hunters of Gurung tribe based in Nepal. Here is all you need to know about 'mad honey'.
That's the honey that Himalayan bees produce.
The Himalayan Cliff Bee or Apis dorsata laboriosa produce red honey or what locals call "mad honey".
The honey is made by the 'Himalayan Cliff Bees' from rhododendron flowers. These flowers contain grayanotoxins which are poisonous to humans.
The "mad honey" is known to have several health benefits. The nectar from rhododendron is a powerful hallucinogen.
If a bit is intoxicating, the red honey is relaxing, if taken in small amounts. It is described pleasant if consumed in such way.
Rhododendron poisoning or honey intoxication causes vomiting, muscle weakness, and heart irregularities.
The bee hunters belong to the Gurung tribe, in the central Nepal's Kaski district.
The hunters use smoke, ladders, and rope to balance and stab at the honey in order to collect it.
The reason being the climate change and the decreasing bee population.
Do not forget to share and comment.
To access this content, confirm your age by signing up.