Share this post

user icon

Live

People Reading

This story now

Baby Died Within Minutes After Parents Put It In The Car

Recently, 11-week-old Shepard Dodd died after being put into his infant chair in the car by a daycare worker. It was a very sudden death because, at that time, nobody realized what caused it. But after the post-mortem on the baby was conducted, it was revealed that this case happens more often than it should. 

Now the parents of this late child are expressing their concerns on this matter and making sure they spread the word so that such a tragedy doesn't happen to anyone else. 

Read also - Babysitter Abuses 8-Month-Old Baby Who Was Saved By A Dog 

Baby Died Within Minutes After Parents Put It In The Car

Baby Died Within Minutes After Parents Put It In The Car

754 396
  in People

The Dodds are devastated because of their loss. 

The Dodds are devastated because of their loss. 

But they're spreading the word so that nobody else suffers from this tragedy. 

The baby died under supervision. 

The baby died under supervision. 

A licensed daycare provider placed the baby in his infant car seat. The boy was suffering from a cold and some congestion so the daycare provider thought it would be best to leave the baby sleeping in the upright position. 

The baby was unbuckled and unstrapped. 

The baby was unbuckled and unstrapped. 

Since the baby wasn't in a moving vehicle, the daycare provider hadn't strapped the baby to the seat. This way, the baby's head fell to the chest while sleeping. 

The baby hadn't achieved neck holding as yet. 

The baby hadn't achieved neck holding as yet. 

Little Shepard was only 11 weeks old and he didn't have enough strength in his neck muscles to bring it to the upright position after it fell to his chest. This way, the poor baby's airways closed up. 

Eventually, the baby died of asphyxiation. 

Eventually, the baby died of asphyxiation. 

Shepard Dodd suffered from a condition known as positional asphyxiation. Babies who are 3 months old or younger haven't developed strength in their neck muscles to hold it up straight. Infant seats in cars allow babies to be safely strapped so that their chins don't fall to their chest. But since this time the baby wasn't strapped, his chin fell to the chest cutting off his air supply. 

Ali and Derek Dodd are trying to raise awareness. 

Ali and Derek Dodd are trying to raise awareness. 

There are rules according to the state legislature for traveling with newborns in cars and the parents of Shepard Dodd are making sure they spread the word 

Moreover, such small babies should always be monitored. 

Moreover, such small babies should always be monitored. 

Since babies this age can't communicate, they should be paid attention to all the time. Never leave a baby unattended especially in a car. 

Loved this? Spread it out then

comments Comment ()

Post as @guest useror
clear

clear
arrow_back

redo Pooja query_builder {{childComment.timeAgo}}

clear

clear
arrow_back

Be the first to comment on this story.

Report

close

Select you are Reporting

expand_more
  • +2351 Active user
Post as @guest useror

NSFW Content Ahead

To access this content, confirm your age by signing up.