This story now
IN People ON 30 Aug, 2016
Recently, 11-week-old Shepard Dodd died after being put into his infant chair in the car by a daycare worker. It was a very sudden death because, at that time, nobody realized what caused it. But after the post-mortem on the baby was conducted, it was revealed that this case happens more often than it should.
Now the parents of this late child are expressing their concerns on this matter and making sure they spread the word so that such a tragedy doesn't happen to anyone else.
But they're spreading the word so that nobody else suffers from this tragedy.
A licensed daycare provider placed the baby in his infant car seat. The boy was suffering from a cold and some congestion so the daycare provider thought it would be best to leave the baby sleeping in the upright position.
Since the baby wasn't in a moving vehicle, the daycare provider hadn't strapped the baby to the seat. This way, the baby's head fell to the chest while sleeping.
Little Shepard was only 11 weeks old and he didn't have enough strength in his neck muscles to bring it to the upright position after it fell to his chest. This way, the poor baby's airways closed up.
Shepard Dodd suffered from a condition known as positional asphyxiation. Babies who are 3 months old or younger haven't developed strength in their neck muscles to hold it up straight. Infant seats in cars allow babies to be safely strapped so that their chins don't fall to their chest. But since this time the baby wasn't strapped, his chin fell to the chest cutting off his air supply.
There are rules according to the state legislature for traveling with newborns in cars and the parents of Shepard Dodd are making sure they spread the word
Since babies this age can't communicate, they should be paid attention to all the time. Never leave a baby unattended especially in a car.
To access this content, confirm your age by signing up.