This story now
IN People ON 27 Jun, 2016
Teenage is probably the toughest phase of life; tough for the teens and equally difficult for their parents. It's the time when children want to enjoy freedom, have some adventures and do stuff their parents wouldn't approve of. Parents fall in a dilemma about where to draw the line of limits in their children's life. A protective mother who though happily sent her daughter to a sleepover wasn't lucky enough.
Shelby Lyn Allen, a 17-year-old was doing great in life. The star athlete of her local high school was also on the honor's list. Everything was going great until she decided to go a little adventurous during Christmas break, something that turned out to be the worst decision of her life.
Since Debbie knew Alyssa and her family very well, she willfully allowed her daughter to spend a night at Alyssa's.
The text was from Jane (name changed) who invited the two girls to her place since according to her, Jane's family had been drinking and it would be fun to have her friends there too.
Jane's parents went to bed at 1:00 AM and warned the girls not to touch alcohol and go to bed soon.
Jane's house had an open bar and the teen trio decided to have some fun.
The 107-pound girl had no idea of alcohol poisoning. Alyssa says, "I honestly don't know why she got that number in her head. Maybe she saw someone do it at a party. Shelby was an athlete [she played volleyball and was on the cross-country track team]; she had a competitive spirit. We all told her it was a bad idea, but she was determined to make that her goal."
Jane kept checking on Shelby in the bathroom every now and then. After realizing everything wasn't fine, she sent a few texts to a male friend of hers. The messages were: "She won't sober up at all, I'm freaking out have no idea wat to do." "Shelby is out [boy's name hidden] I f______ needs help…" "Shelby is just half snoring shaking. I need you so dab right now."
An hour later, Alyssa woke up and realized something is very wrong with Shelby's health. Shelby was still unconscious in the toilet and her lip had split up after the horrible vomiting last night. She immediately called 911 and when the EMTs arrived, Shelby's pulse was very weak. She was declared dead at 9.40 AM at the hospital due to alcohol poisoning.
Shelby's mom Debbie had already lost a child in 1987 and had to bear the same unfortunate pain with Shelby's demise. Now she educates teens and parents on the consequences of alcohol and has also started 'Shelby's Rules', an alcohol poisoning education foundation.
Debbie says, "But now I also have a mother's passion to educate teens about the dangers of alcohol poisoning amid this new culture of binge drinking - a danger many know nothing about, and a danger my family learned about in the hardest way imaginable. It's not a matter of staying strong; it's a matter of doing what needs to be done, no matter how you are feeling, no matter how sad you are. I believe - and believed almost right away - this is what Shelby would have wanted me to do."
May Shelby's soul rest in peace.
To access this content, confirm your age by signing up.