This story now
IN People ON 15 Apr, 2016
Hayley Lyons was shocked to learn that doctor's petty mistake led to serious health problems for her child Lewis. Lewis was diagnosed with chicken pox and doctor prescribed ibuprofen for his treatment. The poor little kid took ibuprofen in large amounts as instructed by the doctor.
However, Hayley soon realized that ibuprofen was the wrong medication for chicken pox. They immediately rushed to the hospital but it was too late. Lewis was diagnosed with a severe disorder.
Read on further to know what happened next.
Ibuprofen has the potential to cure some symptoms of chicken pox. But only a few people are aware of the negative effects of this anti-inflammatory medication on chicken pox.
Lewis's health began to worsen severely after taking ibuprofen.
Lewis was diagnosed with septicaemia and was immediately admitted to Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool.
Hayley has made it her mission to aware other parents about the harmful effects of taking ibuprofen to treat chicken pox.
Her post has been shared by more than 430,000 people till now.
She wrote on Facebook, "Chickenpox is going round again can I please remind people NOT to give your children nurofen/ibuprofen. 4 different doctors from our local (out of hours) prescribed it for Lewis as we couldn't get his temp down. This type of medicine is an anti-inflammatory; it reacts with chicken pox making them go deeper into the skin tissue."
Hayley further added, "It was only when we took Lewis to Alder Hey because the doctors from our hospital kept sending him home saying it was 'just chicken pox' we found this out. He ended up with septicemia and was admitted straight to Alder Hey as soon as we arrived there. Only because we persevered and took Lewis to a children's hospital off our own back was he ok. This could have ended up so much worse if it wasn't for those doctors at septicemia and their advice, care and knowledge. Only use CALPOL for their temps. It does actually state on the Nurofen website not to take this medicine with chickenpox. (We discovered this after it happened) But when our doctors prescribe it, who are we to question it??" Share this information with everyone you care.
To access this content, confirm your age by signing up.