This story now
IN People ON 24 Mar, 2016
Super Jolly, 37, commercial manager, was bitten by a spider during her trip to the Palau Islands, Micronesia in 2013. The freelance photographer noticed the bite on her leg at the end of her two-week scuba diving holiday in the Pacific Ocean. She was bitten by the species of arachnid while changing wetsuit.
She was horrified when the spider bite turned into pus after nine days, in turn, causing a 4 cm hole in her leg. Scroll down to read her story!
The lady noticed swelling in her leg during her 30-hour flight back to London after the holiday. Her body temperature rose abnormally high during the journey.
Ms Jolly was scared when her bite turned oversize with time. She didn't go to the office for two months.
She experienced extreme pain in the back of her leg which made her look immediately in the mirror.
She explained, 'I am used to being a magnet for midges and mosquitoes and I'm normally covered in bug bites when I visit the tropics. But this instantly felt different. It felt like a pin prick. It was a piercing pain. I noticed it immediately.'
Ms Jolly understood that the bite was not an ordinary one because the swelling enlarged with every passing day. The lady experienced immense pain for several days and her swelling expanded to nearly 7 cm on the last day of her trip.
Ms Jolly was unable to consult a doctor on the island. She felt acute pain and was unable to even sit during the 30-hour-flight to London.
Ms Jolly explained, 'The bite was on the back of my thigh meant that I couldn't sit for long periods of time. I had to stand for much of my journey back to London. I arrived home on Sunday night and went straight to bed. On Monday I had a slight temperature and felt very tired. The pain was quite bad and I couldn't sit, so I decided to work from home rather than going into the office.'
Doctor applied the magnesium sulphate paste to remove the poison from her leg. She got her bite wrapped with plastic dressing. Doctor prescribed antibiotics and ibuprofen for pain relief.
She was shocked to notice blood in her plastic dressing. The photographer opted for dry wound healing and also used Youki Bio-Cell spray for five or six times a day. She got some relief for a few days. Nine days later she was left with a hole in her leg. She explained, 'I removed the dressing and bloody fluid poured out, and on cleaning the area we could see that half of the inflamed area had broken down. It was like a volcano of pus and blood with a dark hole in the middle. Not only was my flesh eaten away where I could see the hole, it looked like it had gone sideways under the skin. It was as if someone had scooped the flesh out of my leg. In spite of a great big hole, my leg felt noticeably more comfortable, the wound and the skin around it looked healthy and the swelling had almost gone down – it was as if a huge weight had been lifted from me.'
Ms Jolly said, 'I never thought a little spider could do this. But it hasn't put me off diving. I've just returned from the Philippines. I am so grateful not to have any lasting scarring.'
To access this content, confirm your age by signing up.