Share this post

user icon

Live

People Reading

This story now

You Will Never Visit Hair Salon After Reading This

We all love some spa treatments and like to go frequently out to get our hair and nails done. But, here's a shocking thing you never imagined would happen, people are suffering from strokes by a very basic hair salon treatment. A simple procedure of shampooing your hair while you're in a parlor can lead to disastrous complications and end up in a stroke.

Do you want to know how? Read more to find out. 

You Will Never Visit Hair Salon After Reading This

You Will Never Visit Hair Salon After Reading This

754 396
  in Health & Fitness

In January 2014, Elizabeth Smith, suffered from a stroke after visiting a hair salon.

In January 2014, Elizabeth Smith, suffered from a stroke after visiting a hair salon.

She's a mother of two and she suffered from serious complications after a visit to the hair salon.

The CT scan revealed she had a damaged artery in her neck.

The CT scan revealed she had a damaged artery in her neck.

She was at the salon called Blowbunny in San Diego when the artery in her neck suffered a blow due to this inclined shampoo chair.

She also filed a lawsuit against the beauty parlor.

She also filed a lawsuit against the beauty parlor.

There's a medical term for this kind of stroke - beauty parlor stroke.

This happens due to a relative hyper extension of the neck while getting a shampoo.

This happens due to a relative hyper extension of the neck while getting a shampoo.

The position of the neck is supposed to be maintained in hyperextension while the attendant tends to your hair. In this while, there might be push and pull with a marginal degree of force to the head which can cause whiplash injuries to the neck as well. This hyperextension along with push and pull forces can damage the arteries located at the back of the neck and result into a stroke.

Due to excessive pressure during the shampoo, clots or uneven flow can be caused.

Due to excessive pressure during the shampoo, clots or uneven flow can be caused.

These clots arise very close to the brain stem and can shoot upwards to the brain and cause a stroke.

In Elizabeth's case, she was feeling numbness in one half of the body.

In Elizabeth's case, she was feeling numbness in one half of the body.

By the time the paramedics arrived at the salon, her symptoms got resolved and no action was taken regarding her condition. But things started to get worse after a week when she was taken to the hospital.

She couldn't even stand and suffered from constant vomitting.

She couldn't even stand and suffered from constant vomitting.

All these are signs of internal head injury and she was immediately taken to the hospital. Initially, the doctors were skeptical about the mechanism of things but after the CT scan was done, it was revealed.

Smith went through months of physical therapy and rehabilitation.

Smith went through months of physical therapy and rehabilitation.

She is now suing the beauty parlor for their ignorance that caused major health hazards and probably a risk to all their other customers.

Co-incidentally, 80% of the stylists in the parlor knew about this phenomenon.

Co-incidentally, 80% of the stylists in the parlor knew about this phenomenon.

The fact that the stylists working out there know that there is a risk of stroke in such cases, and yet, they aren't doing anything to prevent it, is simply disturbing.

Although, it's a very rare phenomenon, but it's definitely very serious.

Although, it's a very rare phenomenon, but it's definitely very serious.

The exact reason for the clots isn't known. It could be due to jerking the head back and forth, or the constant pressure maintained on the back of the neck while the shampoo procedure. But one of them is definitely the cause.

Smith's injury has caused her to spread awareness about this phenomenon.

Smith's injury has caused her to spread awareness about this phenomenon.

Precautions are being taken and modification to the technique of shampooing one's hair is being done so that these injuries can be prevented in the future.

Look for an adjustable chair with adequate neck space when you're going to the salon next time.

Look for an adjustable chair with adequate neck space when you're going to the salon next time.

You could use towels to form a sufficient padding so that your neck doesn't go into excessive extension and that could do the trick too.

Loved this? Spread it out then

comments Comment ()

Post as @guest useror
clear

clear
arrow_back

redo Pooja query_builder {{childComment.timeAgo}}

clear

clear
arrow_back

Be the first to comment on this story.

Report

close

Select you are Reporting

expand_more
  • +2351 Active user
Post as @guest useror

NSFW Content Ahead

To access this content, confirm your age by signing up.