IN Bizarre ON
If you're a girl with long hair or a guy with the same, you're probably used to tying up your hair into a bun with hair ties. And if that really is so, or are just extremely observing of what people around you do, then you must be familiar with the most convenient way to carry the hair ties when they're not holding hair together - wrap them around the wrist! Well, this was just what Audree Kopp used to do, until she learnt a hard lesson, something that every wise person should learn from.
Check out her story!
Audree Kopp, a mother from Louisville, Kentucky, wrapped a glittery hair tie around her wrist one day when leaving her house. That is, of course, the most convenient way to carry around a hair tie when not in use, isn't it?
The glitter on the band created a small and undetectable scratch on her wrist. And that created an opening for unwanted and dangerous bacteria to make their way into her system.
The first sign of what would become a life-threatening infection was a bump the size of a quarter.
She went to her doctor to get a view on the matter, but the response she got was that it was "no big deal." She was put on a round of antibiotics.
As it turns out, it was actually quite a big deal! She barely avoided sepsis, or, blood poisoning!
She went to another doctor for a second opinion. But it was already quite late. The infection had reached her bones and tendons!
Dr. Amit Gupta, who was on Kopp's new medical team, says that carrying hair ties on your wrist can lead to infections, just like this.