This story now
IN People ON 30 Oct, 2015
Harrison Elmer was suffering from meningitis and was able to breathe only through life support machine. The baby incredibly fought back when his life support system was turned off. Another miracle baby here!
Doctors reported his parents that the baby wouldn't be able to live anymore and his parents were left with no choice but to switch off the device. Read this amazing story about the miraculous recovery of three week old baby.
On January 2013, the results of scanning indicated that the brain of the baby is totally dead. The heartbroken parents Samantha Baker , 22, and Adam Ellmer, 26, took this drastic step so that their baby boy could die peacefully.
Soon after the machine was turned off, the baby started taking breath on his own. The baby showed an extraordinary recovery and now he will soon celebrate his third birthday. Samantha says: "When Harrison's life support was switched off we never imagined he would continue to breathe. We were all so heartbroken when we were told he wasn't going to survive, it felt like a real miracle. Despite surviving, doctors still warned us that he would never be able to walk or talk. We were terrified but so thankful he had survived that we just took each day as it came. Harrison's brain scan results showed that he was completely brain dead but we always hoped he'd defy the odds. We still can't believe it ourselves when we see him walking and talking. Harrison wasn't expected to survive but now he's hitting all his milestones just like other children his age."
Harrison fell ill when he was born, at the end of December 2012. An ambulance was called and he was taken straight to Rotherham Hospital. Samantha recalls: "I was told straight away that it was very serious and after a lumbar puncture, I was told he had contracted meningitis. He was taken by ambulance to Sheffield Hospital and they didn't even know if he'd make the journey, it was touch and go. Harrison continued to deteriorate despite having antibiotics and after five days of trying to save him, doctors confirmed he was going to die. I chose to take him to Bluebell Wood Children's Hospice so he could pass away peacefully with us at his side.The care we received there was fantastic and with Harrison still relying on a ventilator to breathe, we prepared to say our final goodbyes as we switched it all off."
Samantha says: "Looking at him now and watching him running around, riding his bike and reading books, it's amazing.He has suffered some deafness in one ear and has mild cerebral palsy on his right side but you would never know by looking at him. Harrison is full of life and we can't believe how lucky we are to have him."
"I always knew it was something serious but I wouldn't say I knew all the symptoms to look out for. Meningitis takes hold so fast and I would warn all other parents to take their child straight to hospital if they suspect something is wrong. Harrison went floppy and lost his appetite but he didn't ever develop a rash which a lot of people assume is the first symptom," says the mother. Harrison's parents are now raising funds for Bluebell Wood Children's Hospice to express their gratitude in the best possible manner.
To access this content, confirm your age by signing up.